The New York City Ballet (NYCB) seeks a Head Electrician to be responsible for the installation, upkeep, functionality and efficient operation of all performance lighting, sound and video equipment and systems at the David H. Koch Theater (DHTK). The position ensures the timely and accurate realization of all lighting, audio, and video elements for all events in the Theater and ancillary spaces in the venue as designed and conceived by resident or guest designers and production staff. The Head Electrician supervises seven stage electricians and three maintenance electricians as well as enlisting and engaging qualified over-hire staff as directed by Production Management. This position reports to the Director of Production, NYCB, and the Technical Director, DHKT.
- Supervise all electrics crews for load-in, set-up, operation and load-out of all stage and ancillary space productions.
- Accurately complete weekly payroll as required by Theater Management.
- Responsible for all lighting systems, audio and video systems as well as all theater electrical systems.
- Responsible for the set-up and operation of temporary lighting, audio, and video systems where needed.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of the theaters video capture and editing suite.
- Coordinate building wide electrical maintenance and equipment renovations.
- Coordinate additional rental equipment when requested.
- Maintain and monitor appropriate materials, equipment and supplies as required.
- Properly organize and maintain a detailed house lighting inventory in a manner that allows for quick assessment of available units, cable, dimmers, and their readiness for stage use.
- Advise Theater Management of department needs and direct annual maintenance and upkeep of in-house lighting, audio and video equipment.
- Will work closely with theater management on a wide variety of New York City Ballet productions as well as outside licensee performances.
- The position requires leadership and management skills and the ability to work as a member of a team supporting others to accomplish goals.
- Minimum of ten years of professional theatrical electrics, electronics, stage lighting, and building wide electrical maintenance experience in large-scale metropolitan venues.
- ETCP entertainment electrician certification is preferred.
- Leadership and experience managing load-in and show crews for large-scale productions.
- Ability to understand the work and needs of both NYCB and outside licensees, and to anticipate potential problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of persons both within the organization and without.
- Ability to attend to numerous projects concurrently; the ability to respond positively, effectively and quickly to continually shifting priorities and needs.
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office, Vectorworks, AutoCAD.
- Must be well versed in current theater technology including, but not limited to, DMX, automated lighting, LED, dimming systems, power distribution, and other equipment commonly obtained from vendors and rental shops within the industry.
- Willingness to attend various conferences and trade events to maintain awareness of rapidly changing products within the theater industry.
How to Apply
New York City Ballet/ David H. Koch Theater is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply. For consideration, please submit your resume and a cover letter indicating the position of interest to the NYCB Human Resources Department, by fax to 212-870-4042 or by e-mail to balletHR@nycballet.com Please indicate “Head Electrician” in the subject line.