New York City Ballet is one of the foremost dance companies in the world, with a roster of spectacular dancers and an unparalleled repertory. Founded in 1948 by George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein, New York City Ballet quickly became world-renowned for its athletic and contemporary style. Widely acknowledged for its enduring contributions to dance, New York City Ballet is committed to promoting creative excellence and nurturing a new generation of dancers and choreographers. The School of American Ballet is the official training academy of the New York City Ballet.
The Producer, Media, working closely with the directors of the Media and Creative Services teams, line produces all video and still photography shoots, and oversees the workflow procedures set company-wide in support of the creation of all seasonal and institutional related video, photography, and design projects and activities. This position reports directly to the Director, Media.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
● Line produce with media team colleagues all video and still photography shoots from pre- through post-production, scheduling to meet all objectives/deadline
● Budget pre-production, production and post post-production for all video and photography projects
● Process project invoices for approval by team directors prior to submission to finance, enter/reconcile actuals
● Establish the guidelines/procedures and oversee periodic training for the flow of all creative jobs that enter the Marketing & Media Department
● Assist in the developing and maintaining of solid relationships with freelance directors, photographers, DPs, and other creatives, as well as internal talent (dancers)
● Manage the acquisition and tracking of music licenses
● Coordinate performance footage shoots with the appropriate Operations and Production personnel, including booking Local 1 stagehands, camera operators and sending shoot notifications; overseeing capture
● Provide support, as needed with the production of City Ballet the Podcast episodes
● Maintain video office equipment in a secure, organized manner, keeping it in ready working condition as well as maintain camera software updates
● Learn and adhere to the set asset management system guidelines
● Assist in interviewing and supervising interns
● Assist with other department activities as needed
● 3-5 years’ experience as a producer
● Bachelor’s degree a plus
● Strong project management, budgeting, and agreement drafting skills
● Excellent interpersonal, communication (verbal and written), and organizational skills
● Extremely detail-oriented with a high degree of accuracy
● Ability to take direction and work as part of a team as well as independently
● Strong command of English grammar, composition, and proofing
● Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and be flexible in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
● Familiarity with Covid best filming practices a plus
● Ability and willingness to work some nights and weekends in theater and on location
● Ability to shoot, layout graphics, and/or edit a major plus
● Proficient with Macs and a command of MS Office
● Proficient with Premiere Pro, After Effects a plus.
● Experience with project management tools, such as Airtable a plus
● Experience with MAM systems, such as EditShare, a plus
● Some equipment lifting required
● A demonstrated interest in the arts/culture, ballet and/or NYCB a plus
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. The hours of work are typically between 10 AM and 6 PM weekdays; position requires the ability to work performances and productions shoots that involve evenings and weekends.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
While performing the duties of this position the employee is frequently exposed to:
- Office setting
NOTE: New York City Ballet has a vaccine policy that requires all employees to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19. A medical or religious exemption to this policy may be granted if a reasonable accommodation exists that will enable the employee to perform the essential functions of the job. Exemptions or reasonable accommodations are not guaranteed.
● Compensation to match your experience and qualifications
● A competitive benefits package including health and dental insurance
● Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account Programs
● Generous paid time off policy including holidays, floating holidays/personal days, sick and vacation time
● A new hybrid in-office/remote work pilot program, for positions that qualify, beginning Fall 2021.
● Highest moral character and integrity
● Enthusiasm, commitment, and a positive attitude
● Flexibility and dependability
● A collaborative, team-oriented work ethic
Employment is subject to the completion of due-diligence inquiries, including a background check which will take place after a conditional offer is made.
Interested, qualified candidates may apply by forwarding their resume and salary requirements to BalletHR@nycballet.com with Producer, Media & Creative Services in the subject line. No phone calls please.
New York City Ballet, one of the foremost ballet companies in the world, pursues the highest levels of artistic excellence and innovation. Therefore, we seek to attract, retain, and cultivate the most talented dancers, musicians, designers, stage technicians, and arts administrators. To this end, we are deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are inspired by our founders, George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein, who envisioned an authentically American expression of ballet with a company that reflects the rich cultural diversity of this nation. In pursuit of their vision, we are committed to educating, developing, and supporting an organization that embodies diversity in its many forms.
For more information about our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, please visit: nycballet.com/about-us/commitment-to-diversity-equity-and-inclusion