The David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center opened in April 1964 as the New York State Theater. The theater was designed by the renowned architect Philip Johnson, built with funds from the State of New York, and given to the City of New York as a home for performing arts organizations. Today, the theater is home to the New York City Ballet as well as a growing number of national and international touring performing arts groups.
The Building Engineer is responsible for operating, maintaining, and performing repairs on various aspects of the HVAC, plumbing, and sprinkler systems within the David H. Koch Theater. The position reports to the DHKT Chief Engineer. The Engineer position is a union represented role and the successful candidate is required to join the International Union of Operating Engineers Local 30 after 30 days of employment, if they are not already members.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Engineer is responsible for operating, maintaining, and performing repairs on assigned equipment including:
- Limited steam, condensate systems and associated piping
- Electric, pneumatic, and direct digital controls
- Refrigeration equipment
- Domestic hot water heating systems
- Chilled water systems
- Packaged units
- Fire alarm, standpipes and sprinkler systems
- Responsible for maintaining the smooth and efficient functioning of critical building systems including HVAC infrastructure, air handlers, plumbing, electrical and mechanical systems.
- Perform assigned preventive maintenance procedures according to schedule.
- Minimum of five years progressively responsible, hands-on experience as a building engineer.
- A current NYC refrigeration license is required for this position.
- Demonstrable experience in equipment troubleshooting and knowledge of facility systems including HVAC, electrical, plumbing, BAS,
- Fire/Life/Safety, interior and exterior building infrastructure systems.
- Must possess valid S12, S13, F01 & S95 COF’s. Further COF’s may be required at the discretion of management
- Ability to multi-task and work well in a fast-paced environment with strong attention to detail and process.
- Strong focus on providing superior customer service.
- The position requires leadership skills and the ability to work as a member of a team supporting others to accomplish goals.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of persons both within the department and without
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to:
- Standing for extended periods throughout the day
- Mechanical equipment room settings
- Office settings
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the minimum requirements of this position:
- Regularly requires standing for extended periods of time.
- Regularly requires work in confined spaces
- Regularly requires working at height.
- Requires lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds.
NOTE: New York City Ballet has a vaccine policy that requires all employees to provide proof of vaccination against COVID- 19. A medical or religious exemption to this policy may be granted if a reasonable accommodation exists that will enable the employee to perform the essential functions of the job. Exemptions or reasonable accommodations are not guaranteed.
Interested, qualified candidates may apply by forwarding their resume to: BalletHR@NYCBallet.com with “Engineer” in the subject line.
No Phone Calls, Please.
New York City Ballet is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, disability, pregnancy, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, unemployment status, familial status, sexual violence or stalking victim status, caregiver status, arrest or conviction record to extent required by applicable law, credit history or any other characteristic protected by law.
New York City Ballet, one of the foremost ballet companies in the world, pursues the highest levels of artistic excellence and innovation. Therefore, we seek to attract, retain, and cultivate the most talented dancers, musicians, designers, stage technicians, and arts administrators. To this end, we are deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are inspired by our founders, George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein, who envisioned an authentically American expression of ballet with a company that reflects the rich cultural diversity of this nation. In pursuit of their vision, we are committed to educating, developing, and supporting an organization that embodies diversity in its many forms.