New York City Ballet is one of the foremost dance companies in the world, with a roster of spectacular dancers and an unparalleled repertory. Founded in 1948 by George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein, New York City Ballet quickly became world-renowned for its athletic and contemporary style. Widely acknowledged for its enduring contributions to dance, New York City Ballet is committed to promoting creative excellence and nurturing a new generation of dancers and choreographers. The School of American Ballet is the official training academy of the New York City Ballet.
The Designer, Creative Services is responsible for working on the development and execution of institutional and seasonal communications, both traditional and digital, in support of the artistic and promotional activities of the Company. The position reports to the Director, Creative Services, and will play role in creating effective campaigns for multiple departments within the institution while maintaining and stewarding the brand.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Concept and execution of various print and digital design projects including but not limited to publications, collateral/brochures, assets for social media, posters, signage, logos, print/outdoor/digital advertising, email, merchandise, and environmental graphics
- Work creatively within the NYCB brand guidelines to create compelling and effective communications at the highest quality and in a timely manner
- Provide various approaches to creative challenges, both standard and out-of-the-box
- Present and work with ideas that can build across channels in various mediums
- Uphold the integrity of, and help build and promote the NYCB brand
- Maintain an awareness of workflow and deadlines
- Keep abreast of latest design trends
- Archive printed and digital materials for rapid location and retrieval
- Assist with other departmental activities as needed
- Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years of proven graphic design experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of graphic design principals, typographic, promotional and editorial design, and a wide variety of media and production methods required
- Must be versed in print and web design with light HTML5 / CSS required; knowledge of the Wordfly platform and sone UI/UX experience a plus
- Proficient with InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator required, other software in the Adobe Creative Cloud such as After Effects a plus
- Ability to understand and work within brand guidelines
- Must have an interest and working knowledge of social media platforms and best practices
- Ability to problem solve and deliver within a nimble, deadline driven environment
- Exceptional attention to detail, with strong communication, organizational, project management, and multi-tasking skills
- Knowledge of conventional and digital print processes, print production, and file preparation, with some press check experience
- Some retouching skills preferred, photographic skills a plus
- Reliable and self-motivated, while working collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends
- A demonstrated interest in arts/culture, knowledge of ballet and/or NYCB a plus
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. The hours of work are typically between 10 AM and 6 PM weekdays; additional hours may be required on department need.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
While performing the duties of this position the employee is frequently exposed to:
- Office setting
NOTE: New York City Ballet has a vaccine policy that requires all employees to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19. A medical or religious exemption to this policy may be granted if a reasonable accommodation exists that will enable the employee to perform the essential functions of the job. Exemptions or reasonable accommodations are not guaranteed.
- Compensation to match your experience and qualifications
- A competitive benefits package including health and dental insurance
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account Programs
- Generous paid time off policy including holidays, floating holidays/personal days, sick and vacation time
- A new hybrid in-office/remote work pilot program, for positions that qualify, beginning Fall 2021.
- Highest moral character and integrity
- Enthusiasm, commitment, and a positive attitude
- Flexibility and dependability
- A collaborative, team-oriented work ethic
Employment is subject to the completion of due-diligence inquiries, including a background check which will take place after a conditional offer is made.
Interested, qualified candidates may apply by forwarding their resume and salary requirements to BalletHR@nycballet.com with Designer, Creative Services in the subject line. No phone calls please.
New York City Ballet is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, disability, pregnancy, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, unemployment status, familial status, sexual violence or stalking victim status, caregiver status, arrest or conviction record to extent required by applicable law, credit history or any other characteristic protected by law.
New York City Ballet, one of the foremost ballet companies in the world, pursues the highest levels of artistic excellence and innovation. Therefore, we seek to attract, retain, and cultivate the most talented dancers, musicians, designers, stage technicians, and arts administrators. To this end, we are deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are inspired by our founders, George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein, who envisioned an authentically American expression of ballet with a company that reflects the rich cultural diversity of this nation. In pursuit of their vision, we are committed to educating, developing, and supporting an organization that embodies diversity in its many forms.
For more information about our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, please visit: nycballet.com/about-us/commitment-to-diversity-equity-and-inclusion