New York City Ballet is one of the foremost dance companies in the world, with a roster of spectacular dancers and an unparalleled repertory. Founded in 1948 by George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein, New York City Ballet quickly became world-renowned for its athletic and contemporary style. Widely acknowledged for its enduring contributions to dance, New York City Ballet is committed to promoting creative excellence and nurturing a new generation of dancers and choreographers. The School of American Ballet is the official training academy of the New York City Ballet.
The Finance Assistant is responsible for providing primary administrative support in the daily operations of the office of the Chief Financial Officer at New York City Ballet (NYCB). The ideal candidate is able to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, maintain a balance among multiple priorities, and possess strong written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare reports, draft correspondence, and assist with special projects as necessary
- Manage the CFO’s calendar, anticipate needs, and make related arrangements as needed
- Assist with Accounts Payable, including prepare/process invoices for payment, issue checks, etc.
- Provide reception duties for the Finance Office, including answering main phone line, monitoring walk-in traffic, and sorting/distributing mail within the department
- Maintain files and filing system (including retention schedule) for important documents, including billing and contract files, board member roster, audit-related correspondence, tax return documents, financial statements, annual reports, etc.
- Provide office management for the Finance Office, including the monitoring and replenishing of supplies, company-wide purchasing, and liaising with internal and external parties to ensure facility and equipment repairs as necessary
- Performs other duties as required and/or assigned
- Highest moral character and integrity
- Minimum two (2) years of administrative support experience (internships are acceptable)
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with high attention to detail
- Must be computer proficient, with a strong knowledge of MS Word and Excel
- Polished, responsible, proactive and flexible demeanor
- Ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside clients and vendors
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion
- Coursework or prior experience with accounting
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. The hours of work are between 9am – 5pm weekdays; additional hours may be required based on departmental need.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to:
- Office setting
NOTE: New York City Ballet has a vaccine policy that requires all employees to provide proof of vaccination against COVID- 19. A medical or religious exemption to this policy may be granted if a reasonable accommodation exists that will enable the employee to perform the essential functions of the job. Exemptions or reasonable accommodations are not guaranteed.
- Compensation to match your experience and qualifications
- A competitive benefits package including health and dental insurance
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account Programs
- Generous paid time off policy including holidays, floating holidays/personal days, sick and vacation time
- A new hybrid in-office/remote work pilot program, for positions that qualify, beginning Fall 2021
- Enthusiasm, commitment and a positive attitude
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Interpersonal skills, including collaboration and communication
- Attention to detail and flexibility
- A quality-focused and team-oriented work ethic
Employment is subject to the completion of due-diligence inquiries, including a background check which will take place after a conditional offer is made.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter summarizing relevant qualifications and salary requirement, along with a resume. Cover letter and resume should be submitted as a single Word or PDF file, with your first and last name as the document title. Only applications submitted in the correct format will be considered.
Please email cover letter with salary requirements and resume to BalletHR@NYCBallet.com with “Finance Assistant” in the subject line.
No Phone Calls, Please.
New York City Ballet is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, disability, pregnancy, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, unemployment status, familial status, sexual violence or stalking victim status, caregiver status, arrest or conviction record to extent required by applicable law, credit history or any other characteristic protected by law.
New York City Ballet, one of the foremost ballet companies in the world, pursues the highest levels of artistic excellence and innovation. Therefore, we seek to attract, retain, and cultivate the most talented dancers, musicians, designers, stage technicians, and arts administrators. To this end, we are deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are inspired by our founders, George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein, who envisioned an authentically American expression of ballet with a company that reflects the rich cultural diversity of this nation. In pursuit of their vision, we are committed to educating, developing, and supporting an organization that embodies diversity in its many forms.