New York City Ballet is one of the foremost dance companies in the world, with a roster of spectacular dancers and an unparalleled repertory. Founded in 1948 by George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein, New York City Ballet quickly became world-renowned for its athletic and contemporary style. Widely acknowledged for its enduring contributions to dance, New York City Ballet is committed to promoting creative excellence and nurturing a new generation of dancers and choreographers. The School of American Ballet is the official training academy of the New York City Ballet.
New York City Ballet is seeking an enthusiastic and responsible Special Events Intern to support the operations of a dynamic events department. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in gaining experience in event production, fundraising, patron relations, database management, and arts administration. The Special Events Intern will report to the Associate Director, Special Events.
Classification: Unpaid – School credit may be arranged.
Internship dates: November 2021 - May 2022
Desired time commitment: At least 20 hours a week with some flexibility to schedule including availability to work some nights and weekends and the ability to work remotely and on-site at the David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center, as needed.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Correspond with patrons by phone and email, field questions, and take event ticket orders
- Retrieve guest information and facilitate solicitation and courtesy confirmation calls
- Participate in database management as it pertains to Special Events donors including maintaining donor information and historical event information
- Draft and proof copy for printed materials, website content, e-mail solicitation, newsletters, and other event marketing correspondence
- Assist with printing letters, envelopes, and assembling benefit invitations and mailings
- Manage digital archiving of event files from previous fiscal year
- Solicit and track in-kind support for benefit events
- Conduct donor research for gala dinner seating
- Compile Special Events Playbill listings for 12-month cumulative giving
- Organize and manage electronic press and social media clippings for benefit coverage
- Provide on-site support at benefit and cultivation events as schedule allows
- Organize and inventory supplies, beverage product, and event materials
- Long-term research projects as applicable
- Provide general administrative support as needed
- Professional demeanor, attention to detail, and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and problem-solve in a fast-paced work environment
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.) and Tessitura a plus
- Availability to work some nights and weekends
- Ability to work remotely and on-site at the David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center, as needed
NOTE: New York City Ballet has a vaccine policy that requires all employees to provide proof of vaccination against COVID- 19. A medical or religious exemption to this policy may be granted if a reasonable accommodation exists that will enable the employee to perform the essential functions of the job. Exemptions or reasonable accommodations are not guaranteed.
For consideration, please email your resume along with a cover letter to: Specialevents@nycballet.com with “Special Events Intern” in the subject line. No Phone Calls, Please. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.
New York City Ballet is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, disability, pregnancy, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, unemployment status, familial status, sexual violence or stalking victim status, caregiver status, arrest or conviction record to extent required by applicable law, credit history or any other characteristic protected by law.
New York City Ballet, one of the foremost ballet companies in the world, pursues the highest levels of artistic excellence and innovation. Therefore, we seek to attract, retain, and cultivate the most talented dancers, musicians, designers, stage technicians, and arts administrators. To this end, we are deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are inspired by our founders, George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein, who envisioned an authentically American expression of ballet with a company that reflects the rich cultural diversity of this nation. In pursuit of their vision, we are committed to educating, developing, and supporting an organization that embodies diversity in its many forms.