The David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center (“DHKT”) opened in April 1964 as the New York State Theater. The theater was designed by the renowned architect Philip Johnson, built with funds from the State of New York, and given to the City of New York as a home for performing arts organizations. Today, the theater is home to the New York City Ballet as well as a growing number of national and international touring performing arts groups.
The Security Officer (Temporary Full-time) is part of the David H. Koch Theater Operations team and is responsible for the protection, safeguarding, and security of assets, staff, patrons, and all visitors to the Theater. The position reports to the Director of Safety & Security. This is a temporary full-time position. The Security Officer position is a union represented role and the successful candidate will be required to join SEIU Local 32-BJ within 30 days of employment.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform security patrols.
- Provide any needed assistance to patrons, employees and visitors with the department's procedure.
- Enforce David H. Koch Theater badge procedures for building access.
- Monitor entrances and protect property from theft, sabotage, fire and accidents.
- Detain any visitors suspected to be involved in illegal activity while on DHKT property and inform proper authorities.
- Investigate and write reports on accidents, incidents, suspicious activities, safety and fire hazards and other security related situations.
- Receive deliveries and ensure distribution to the appropriate personnel.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required plus any Security/Law Enforcement experience preferred.
- Possession of a current Security Guard license valid in the State of New York.
- Good working knowledge of security operations, safety practices in a business environment and enforcement procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with staff and the public.
- Strong customer service orientation/etiquette and ability to work well with diverse clientele.
- Ability to understand and follow standard operating procedures.
- Ability to write and investigate required reports.
- Ability to make independent and good judgment decisions within proper policy and procedures.
- Professional manner and appearance required
This is a union position and work hours vary according to the event schedule and will include nights, weekends, holidays, and other scheduled work periods as necessary.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to:
o Standing for extended periods throughout the day.
o Theater and studio settings
o Office setting
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the minimum requirements of this position:
o Regularly requires standing for extended periods of time.
o Occasional handling of small to medium sized parcels & packages at security holding area.
NOTE: New York City Ballet has a vaccine policy that requires all employees to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19. A medical or religious exemption to this policy may be granted if a reasonable accommodation exists that will enable the employee to perform the essential functions of the job. Exemptions or reasonable accommodations are not guaranteed.
Interested, qualified candidates may apply by forwarding their resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Temp Security Officer” in the subject line. No Phone Calls, Please.
New York City Ballet is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, disability, pregnancy, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, unemployment status, familial status, sexual violence or stalking victim status, caregiver status, arrest or conviction record to extent required by applicable law, credit history or any other characteristic protected by law.
New York City Ballet, one of the foremost ballet companies in the world, pursues the highest levels of artistic excellence and innovation. Therefore, we seek to attract, retain, and cultivate the most talented dancers, musicians, designers, stage technicians, and arts administrators. To this end, we are deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are inspired by our founders, George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein, who envisioned an authentically American expression of ballet with a company that reflects the rich cultural diversity of this nation. In pursuit of their vision, we are committed to educating, developing, and supporting an organization that embodies diversity in its many forms.