Featured Roles Since Joining NYCB
- Apollo (Calliope)
- Allegro Brillante
- Ballo della Regina
- Coppélia (Swanilda)
- Danses Concertantes
- Divertimento from 'Le Baiser de la Fée'
- Divertimento No. 15
- Donizetti Variations
- Duo Concertant
- "Emeralds" from Jewels
- George Balanchine's The Nutcracker® (Sugarplum Fairy, Dewdrop, Marzipan, Dolls)
- Harlequinade (Pierrette)
- A Midsummer Night's Dream (Butterfly, Divertissement)
- Raymonda Variations
- "Rubies" from Jewels
- La Source
- Square Dance
- Stars and Stripes
- The Steadfast Tin Soldier
- Symphony in C (First Movement, Third Movement)
- Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux
- Theme and Variations
- Union Jack
- Vienna Waltzes
- Western Symphony (Adagio)
- Who Cares?
- Intermezzo No. 1 (NYCB Premiere)
- Barber Violin Concerto
- A Fool for You
- Eight Easy Pieces
- Eros Piano
- Fearful Symmetries
- Jeu de Cartes
- The Magic Flute (Lise)
- The Sleeping Beauty (Aurora, Ruby, Princess Florine)
- Songs of the Auvergne
- Swan Lake (Odette/Odile, Pas de Trois, Pas de Quatre, Neapolitan)
- The Most Incredible Thing (The Cuckoo Bird)
- Dances at a Gathering
- The Four Seasons (Winter)
- The Goldberg Variations
- Piano Pieces
- DGV: Danse à Grande Vitesse
- Mercurial Manoeuvres
Originated featured roles in
- Robert La Fosse: Land of Nod (Natalie)
- Peter Martins: Bal de Couture, Naïve and Sentimental Music
- Angelin Preljocaj: Spectral Evidence
- Alexei Ratmansky: Namouna, A Grand Divertissement
- Susan Stroman: "The Blue Necklace" from Double Feature (Florence)
- Christopher Wheeldon: Shambards
Megan Fairchild is a principal dancer with New York City Ballet. Ms. Fairchild was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, and began her dance training at the age of four, studying with Judy Levitre and Kaelynne Oliphant at Dance Concepts in Sandy, Utah, and at the Ballet West Conservatory in Salt Lake City with Sharee Lane, Deborah Dobson, and Maureen Laird. While at the Ballet West Conservatory, Ms. Fairchild was also a Ballet West trainee. Ms. Fairchild entered the School of American Ballet (SAB), the official school of New York City Ballet, in the fall of 2000. In November 2001, Ms. Fairchild became an apprentice with New York City Ballet, and in October 2002 she joined the Company as a member of the corps de ballet. Ms. Fairchild was promoted to the rank of soloist in February 2004, and in January 2005, she was promoted to principal dancer.
In 2014 Ms. Fairchild made her Broadway debut in the Tony Award–nominated revival of On the Town at the Lyric Theater. She was nominated for an Outer Critics Circle Award, and received a Theatre World Award for her portrayal of Ivy Smith, AKA Miss Turnstiles.
In 2011, Ms. Fairchild danced the role of the Sugar Plum Fairy in PBS’ Live From Lincoln Center telecast of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker™ which was also screened in movie theaters around the world.
Ms. Fairchild was a recipient of the Mae L. Wien Award for Outstanding Promise in 2001.
Ms. Fairchild is currently a Teaching Fellow with the School of American Ballet, the official school of New York City Ballet.
Portrait © Erin Baiano