Daniel Ulbricht was born in St. Petersburg, Florida, and began his dance training at the age of 11 at the Judith Lee Johnson Studio of Dance, studying with Lenny Holmes.
He also studied at Les Jeunes Danseurs with Javier Dubraq and attended the Chautauqua Summer Dance Program, training with Jean Pierre Bonnefoux and Patricia McBride.
In 1999, Mr. Ulbricht was invited by the School of American Ballet (SAB), the official school of New York City Ballet, to continue his training during their Winter Program.
As a student at SAB, Mr. Ulbricht performed with New York City Ballet as a Jester in Peter Martins' The Sleeping Beauty.
In December 2000, he became an apprentice with New York City Ballet and in November 2001 he joined the Company as a member of the corps de ballet. In January 2005, Mr. Ulbricht was promoted to the rank of soloist and principal dancer in May 2007.
- Harlequinade (Pierrot)
- Ivesiana (The Unanswered Question)
- A Midsummer Night's Dream (Oberon, Puck)
- Mozartiana (Gigue)
- George Balanchine's The Nutcracker® (Candy Cane, Tea, Soldier, Cavalier)
- Prodigal Son
- "Rubies" from Jewels
- La Sonnambula
- Stars and Stripes
- The Steadfast Tin Soldier
- Symphony in Three Movements
- Tschaikovsky Suite No. 3
- Union Jack
- Valse Fantaisie
- Variations Pour Une Porte Et Un Soupir
- Vienna Waltzes
- La Sylphide (Gurn [NYCB Premiere])
- Eight More
- Fearful Symmetries
- A Fool for You
- Les Gentilhommes
- Hallelujah Junction
- Jeu de Cartes
- Naïve and Sentimental Music
- The Sleeping Beauty (Bluebird)
- Swan Lake (Jester, Pas de Quatre)
- Concerto DSCH
- Pictures at an Exhibition
- Fancy Free
- Fanfare (Tuba)
- The Four Seasons (Fall)
- A Suite of Dances
- Soirée (Quadriglia)
- Call Me Ben
- SOMETHING TO DANCE ABOUT Jerome Robbins, Broadway to Ballet
- Ocean's Kingdom
- Romeo + Juliet (Mercutio)
Robert La Fosse
- Land of Nod
Annabelle Lopez Ochoa
- The Most Incredible Thing (The Gambler)
- Rodeo: Four Dance Episodes, Rotunda
- Namouna, A Grand Divertissement
- Les Carillons
ANATOMY OF A DANCE
STARS AND STRIPES
Every time you dance it, it has to be alive," Daniel Ulbricht insists in discussing the Third Campaign of Stars and Stripes, George Balanchine's ode to America. Watch Ulbricht's expertise in building energy and camaraderie onstage while delivering a "white glove treatment" that maintains the choreography's polish for future interpreters' benefit
Anatomy of a Dance
Daniel Ulbricht on Rodeo: Four Dance Episodes
Mr. Ulbricht has performed internationally as a guest artist, and is the founder and director of Stars of the American Ballet. He is the co-founding director and producer of Dance Against Cancer.
Mr. Ulbricht was the Janice Levin Dancer Honoree for 2003-2004.
Portrait © Paul Kolnik